Have you ever had that feeling that you’ve been somewhere, when actually, you never have? Mirta Yanez’s “Havana is a really Big City” makes you feel as though you’ve been to Cuba… even if you’ve only wished it to be true. It is an impressive collection of short stories featuring Cuba and the everyday lives of its people. “Havana is a really Big City” is a very enjoyable read. It is interesting how the title says that Havana is a big city but in her stories, Yanez portrays Cuba as a familiar place, the well-known small town feel. Each story introduces us to a character, ranging from children to adults to a dog, who tells us a personal account of the highs and lows of life. Each story is so different, covering a variety of themes such as sadness for lost loved ones, unhappiness with life, coming of age, and love. These stories are original and down to earth, and the emotions that flow from character to character and story to story are completely relatable. Yanez weaves so much emotion into such few words. She writes as though she’s a good friend just telling you stories. This book will keep you entertained and I definitely recommend it.
- the irreverent poet, the celibate, immersed headfirst into his reclusive destiny #TheVisits @MiamiHerald ow.ly/2YrX308PbDx 13 hours ago
- el poeta irreverente, el célibe, hundido de cabeza en su huraño destino #LasVisitasYOtrasPoemas @Negracubana ow.ly/NVa7308PbDu 18 hours ago
- never again the refuge of tolerance, city corruption’s leftovers, the presumptuous daredevil told himself #TheVisits ow.ly/BRJA308PbDr 20 hours ago
- nunca más los refugios de la tolerancia como sobras de la ciudad corrupta, se dijo el presunto suicida #LasVisitas ow.ly/XFHV308PbDq 22 hours ago
- Out the consolation of certainties, the bed for two, the successive generations following a diaphanous regularity ow.ly/df43308PbDp 1 day ago
Browse past Cubanabooks Posts
Who is writing about Cubanabooks?
Not too long ago…
- Presentación de mi novela policiaca “El milagro de San Lázaro” en FIU el 8 de Septiembre
- Memoria del silencio, memorias del exilio desde las dos orillas.
- Las mujeres han escrito 9 de los 10 libros más vendidos de todos los tiempos
- Help us bring Cuban women’s voices to the United States!!
- Book Review: Ophelias by Aida Bahr