Have you ever had that feeling that you’ve been somewhere, when actually, you never have? Mirta Yanez’s “Havana is a really Big City” makes you feel as though you’ve been to Cuba… even if you’ve only wished it to be true. It is an impressive collection of short stories featuring Cuba and the everyday lives of its people. “Havana is a really Big City” is a very enjoyable read. It is interesting how the title says that Havana is a big city but in her stories, Yanez portrays Cuba as a familiar place, the well-known small town feel. Each story introduces us to a character, ranging from children to adults to a dog, who tells us a personal account of the highs and lows of life. Each story is so different, covering a variety of themes such as sadness for lost loved ones, unhappiness with life, coming of age, and love. These stories are original and down to earth, and the emotions that flow from character to character and story to story are completely relatable. Yanez weaves so much emotion into such few words. She writes as though she’s a good friend just telling you stories. This book will keep you entertained and I definitely recommend it.
- RT @berlspoetry: El tiempo es el destino de la soledad hacia lo que luego nos parece infinito. -Zurelys López Amaya FLOCKS tr Jeffrey C Bar… 2 months ago
- RT @berlspoetry: Time is solitude's destination towards what seems infinite.-Zurelys López Amaya FLOCKS (REBAÑOS) tr Jeffrey C Barnett @cub… 2 months ago
- Happy Monday, everyone! https://t.co/9Ns9SrXR9T 3 months ago
- RT @theorion_news: The Orion will be having a fundraiser at Woodstock's Pizza on March 29th from 5-8 p.m. We hope to see you there. Thank y… 5 months ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/3iCbuxvMnWg?a Borrego Springs Rain for the Super Bloom! 5 months ago
Browse past Cubanabooks Posts
Who is writing about Cubanabooks?
Not too long ago…
- Presentación de mi novela policiaca “El milagro de San Lázaro” en FIU el 8 de Septiembre
- Memoria del silencio, memorias del exilio desde las dos orillas.
- Las mujeres han escrito 9 de los 10 libros más vendidos de todos los tiempos
- Help us bring Cuban women’s voices to the United States!!
- Book Review: Ophelias by Aida Bahr